Sunday, February 17, 2013

Harper Lee's Big Debut

I was scheduled to be induced  Friday, February 8th. The day before they told me to expect a call between 7-9 am and to be prepared to go in right at 7. About 7:45 am on the 8th we got the call asking us to be at the hospital at 8:30. About 9 hours later at 5:38 our Harper was born. It was such an easy labor and delivery. It really was night and day from our experience of having Sage. The whole experience was so calm and peaceful. Our nurses were wonderful. We absolutely loved them. We especially loved our labor/delivery nurse Candie. I'm sure my nurses were just fine when I delivered at Provo, but I don't really remember them too much. We will however, remember the nurses at IHC. The most difficult part was getting the epidural. I don't remember the pain and all the pressure with my last one, but this time around it was almost unbearable. I kept arching my back and the anesthesiologist had to keep stopping to have me round my back and make sure I was okay. Unlike my experience with Sage, once my epidural was in, I could not feel anything. I hardly ever had to push the button for more fentanyl except at the very end and even then I was not in much pain at all, but just felt a little pressure. Dr. Froerer came in and broke my water and one point and things started progressing fast. I went from a 6 to a 10 within an hour, but lil Harper was pretty high up, so they had me "rest and descend" for a couple of hours at a 10 to let the contractions bring her down instead of having to push forever. By the time Dr.  Froerer came down she was more than ready to make her big debut. He came in about 5:30pm and I pushed through a couple of contractions and she was born at 5:38pm. They put her right on me and let Taylor cut the umbilical cord. There is something magical about bringing a child into this world and there is no doubt in my mind that she came right from Heaven!










No comments: