Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sunshine Academy

Okay, so after a few months of substituting and looking for a teaching position I decided to settle with an office job at the Utah College of Dental Hygiene. The schedule works great and the pay of course can always be better, but it is good. The job is not horrible. I sometimes enjoy it and the other times it is not that bad. Basically I help the patients check in and out, make sure the students enter their patients information correct in the computer, file, make copies, and a lot of other tedious office work. Some days I feel a little disappointed and do not like my job very much as I hole punch and day dream of working with kids. But in those moments I am also grateful that I have a job. However, the other day Dr. Molen- the program director, was talking to a co-worker who works in admissions and was telling her how much he appreciates her because she is such a great problem solver, takes the initiative, etc. and then he looks at me... and says, "And Michelle... you are... hmmm a great paper sorter!" I know he did not mean it the way it came out, but it did not make me feel very good and got me thinking. Taylor looked on Craigslist, which I had given up looking on after months of daily searching and came across a post that read: "Day Care Director Wanted. (Apline, Ut)" I called thsi afternoon and was asked to come in this evening. Long story short. I got the job! It is a new school serving infants-5 year olds called Sunshine Academy. They have a sight in Magna and just opened their site in Alpine in November. Enrollment is still low, so she could not offer me as much as I had hoped. I wish I could work for free, but unfortunately I can't. I explained to her that financially I cannot quit my job at the Dental College with what she was offering me. She promised me that as soon as enrollment increasing, which she is confident will happen in Fall, since they opened in the middle of the school year, that she will match what they pay me. Until then I have to keep that job at the college, but agreed to work only 10 hours a week- Mondays and Fridays. Once she can offer me more and can afford for me to work at least 20 hours I will quit UCDH, until then I will work both. I am really excited. A little anxious with trying to juggle school and both jobs, but it will work out. It will be fine once I get a routine and figure out my schedules exactly. I will have to learn how to manage my time better. Maybe a little less blogging? (I always tell Taylor it is family history. Which is why I began the blog to begin with.) My greatest worry is the time I will lose with Taylor. Monday and Friday's I did not really get to see him as it was, since he had class in the morning, but at least we got to have lunch together before he had to go to work form 3 pm- 11pm. Now if I am working I will not get to see him until late at night, when I should be asleep or the next morning when he should be sleeping or until the next day when I get off work... Oh, how sad! I wish he worked during the day... He should be getting off work right now, but he has a "short meeting." Those short meetings are not like 5 minutes... that would be short, but they are more like a half hour, which means he will not get home until midnight. Ugh... I think we should run away to an island where we can just be together and sleep under the sun all day long. That is sounding wonderful right about now...

No comments: