Wednesday, December 28, 2011

10 minutes

We have been married for 2 years, although it feels like 10 minutes... under water! That's our joke. It really has been the most wonderful two years. We were reminiscing of the last few years and wanted to record a few memories...  

How we met/ Our first date
I served my mission in Spain with Taylor's cousin Michael Karren. Little did I know that he was a matchmaker. Before I left for home Michael mentioned he has a cousin that had recently got home from his mission in Mongolia. I kind of laughed about it and did not think anything of it. Michael also wrote home and told Taylor about me. I got home in November 2008 and a couple months later I had a facebook friend request from a Taylor Fenton. We chatted online every now and again, but neither of us thought much of it. Several months passed and around June we both happened to be online one evening and began chatting; mostly about a silly boy I was seeing. He gave me some good advice and told me I had been patient enough with him. After this conversation we began talking more regularly. My mission president, President Farnsworth and his wife, who happened to be from Utah were coming home in July and I had planned to attend their homecoming. Taylor planned a date for us while I was in town. I was staying in Provo and he was up in Salt Lake. I drove up and met him in Salt Lake and then he drove us up to Paradise, where we had our first date. We went to his parents home, visited, and took the 4 wheelers out for a picnic. We didn't get very far before a hot oil began dripping on my leg. We stopped, got off and as soon as we did there was a loud noise and the back wheel caught fire. We ran back to the last house we had passed and the lady called the fire department. Taylor called his parents, who arrived with a fire extinguisher and put the fire out before the fire truck, ambulance and police car all showed up to the scene. It was one hot first date! We ended up having a picnic in the backyard. Later that evening we stopped for dinner at Cafe Sabor and then went back to his parents home in Salt Lake and watched Win A Date With Tad Hamilton. On my way back down to Provo I called my friend Katie who I was staying with and I told her, "I'm going to marry Taylor Fenton." She just laughed. Taylor and I had been picking dandelions which were ginormous and making wished. I actually made a wish that I would marry this man that I had known for a whole 3 hours. The next morning we went together to the Oquirrah Mountain Temple Open House. When I went to pick him up he had a oreo with peanut butter on it for me. Any doubt that he was my man vanished at that moment. He had work in the afternoon and I had a homecoming BBQ to attend. He called me that night and said he was coming down to Provo and wanted to see me. That night we both agreed that we were crazy, but that it was love at first sight. 

How He Proposed
2 months later we were engaged. I was going to school in Arizona at NAU, but a couple weeks after our first date I drove back out to visit him. He came out to Flagstaff a few weeks after that and had got me a plane ticket to go visit him again Labor Day weekend. The week before coming to visit he was complaining about pain and thought he was getting a kidney stone. He had had several and was also diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease. I of course was worried. When he picked me up from the airport he had an ice pack on his lower back and was in a lot of pain. The next morning he woke me up early saying he had been up all night and needed to go to the hospital. He had a bag full of pain medication, but had forgot his water bottle. I stopped at 7-11 and quickly ran in and got him bottled water. I had to drive because he was hunched over in agony. He was directing me to the hospital and had me pull over because he thought he was going to throw up. He had me pull into this park. He got out and I sat in the car wondering what I should do.  He came back to the car and said he wanted to take some pain medicine and see if the pain subsided before going to the hospital. He asked me to come sit with him outside at the park. Before I knew it he was pulling a beautiful, sparkling ring out from one of the medicine bottles. He asked me if I would be his medicine and marry him. I was in such disbelief that I told him to shut up. We hugged and I eventually said yes and he put the ring on my finger. I then asked if we still needed to go to the hospital. I thought maybe he wanted to propose before going because he knew the evening would be spent at the hospital. He informed that it was all made up. He really has a history stones, but he was just fine. That night we went to dinner at The Roof. I am not easy to surprise. I almost always ruin surprises, but he sure can be sneaky... 





1 comment:

Caitlin said...

I didn't know all of that. What a great story! So cute!