Thursday, June 28, 2012

Russi

If I am ever asked if I could go anywhere in the world where would I go, my answer is always the Domincan Republic. My very first lesson as a missionary was with a dominican women by the name of Russi. I remember it was summer and very hot. Most pisos in Madrid did not have air conditioning, including Russi's. We rang the timbre and she came down. We walked to a bench outside where we would teach her a lesson on the 10 commandments. Russi was engaged to a member of the church, Salvador. She was pregnant and they both had a child from their previous marriages.  They were waiting for divorce papers in order to get married. Russi had been taught all the lessons and had a strong testimony of the gospel. All that knew her would agree that it was a testimony stronger than most. I don't know anything that was said during that lesson. I remember my companion, Hermana Robb, looking at me for me to say something and realizing the spanish I thought I knew from the missionary training center was nonexistent. I started crying- right there in the middle of the plaza, in the heat of the sun on a park bench. Hermana Robb taught the entire lesson as I sat there trying so hard to stop the tears that would not stop falling down my face. Russi said a prayer at the end of our lesson. All I understood was my name "Hermana Cresine". My companion later told me she prayed that I would be able to learn the language.  Little did I know that this woman would forever have a special place in my heart. For the next 12 weeks we visited with her on a weekly basis and for every night during that time and every night of my mission I prayed for her that her testimony would stay strong and that she would be able to overcome the challenges that were keeping her from the desires of her heart. Shortly after I left the mission her divorce papers came and she was able to get married and baptized! Her family also entered the Temple together and were sealed together for time and all eternity. How grateful I am! As much as I do not like Facebook, it has allowed me to stay in contact with her the last few years since returning home. I have loved receiving updates about her and her family. I received an email the other day from a member of the church in that area which informed me that Russi passed away. Salvador was here in the States and Russi took the two youngest with her to the Dominican Republic where she was going to have surgery on her stomach to remove a hernia. The surgery went fine and she went home. A couple days later her blood pressure rose significantly and she was not able to get the medical attention she needed. Having been in touch with several friends from Madrid the last several days it is certain that Russi has been an example to all of a faithful member of the church, a dedicated mother and wife and a loving friend. My heart hurts to think that someday when I finally make it back to Spain, because someday I will... that Russi, who was at the very top of my list of people to visit, will not be there. How grateful I am for the restored  gospel and the joy I know it has brought to her life the past several years and the the comfort I know it now gives to her family. Although it is still heartbreaking to lose someone, there is comfort in the gospel knowing that she will be reunited with her loved ones once again and that she is sealed to them for eternity. 








1 comment:

Brad and Debbie Farnsworth said...

Beautiful tribute, Hermana.
Con amor..............